A Visit to the Principal's Office Can Be a Good Thing

One of my highlights from the last two weeks happened when I visited the cafeteria during lunch.  A student walked up to inform me that there was a dispute at her table.  When I walked over to investigate, it turned out that a student had a piece of food flung into his eye.  I walked both students involved over to the office.  The perpetrator hung her head.  She was going into the principal's office. I gave each student time to explain his/her perspective of what happened.  Apologies were offered and accepted.  I thought that the office session was coming to a close.  But then something special happened.  I had defined "grudge" as when you couldn't forget or forgive something bad that had happened to you.  This caused both students to reflect upon memories that they had deemed "bad."  These weren't "grudges" per se, but memories that had left indelible marks upon their 4th grade minds.  One of the students got a tear in his eye as he remembered a beloved pet who had passed away the year before.  He shared how much he had looked forward to coming home each day and before saying hi anyone, he would run up to his dog.  This gave each of us an opportunity to share stories of our own pets.  In that moment, the original dispute just evaporated.  We were able to see what we had in common.  We all had experienced the joy and heart-ache of being pet owners.  I felt a little closer to the students at PHE through my conversations with these two 4th graders.

I share that story because I am truly grateful to be working with the students and families here at Pleasant Hill Elementary.  We've had a wonderful start to the school year so far.  Back to School night was last Thursday and we had a tremendous turn out!  The cafeteria was overflowing with parents.  In case you missed the presentation, I have included it here:  Back to School Night Presentation.

Coming up during the month of September, we have Make a Difference Day on Saturday 9/24.  We are in need of volunteers to help beautify our school.  Some of the projects we plan to work on are to repaint the Dino Prints in the front of the school, freshen up some of the paint on the playground, get the garden beds cleaned up, and create a Buddy Bench area.  While I am excited about all of the projects, I am especially looking forward to the creation of the Buddy Benches.  This area will be located near the play structure and is designed to help students find friends to play with.  If they need someone to play with during recess, all they have to do is sit on the bench to indicate that they are looking for a friend!  I hope you are able to join us in the creation of this area on the 24th.

Upcoming Events:

  • Anti-Bullying Assembly - 9/12 (4th/5th Grade only)
  • Opera a La Carte - 9/15

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this story. It really helps me to keep things in perspective. Shakespeare once wrote, "We are such things as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep." Life is short. Understanding commonalities extend it with compassion. Jim Brown- learner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts