We Are the Dinosaurs!

View from the top of Dinosaur Hill.
I continue to look at PHE each day through a fresh set of eyes.  I heard some teachers talking the other day about Dinosaur Hill.  I perked up as I heard this name.  When I first learned I was coming to Pleasant Hill Elementary, I tried to find out all I could online about the school.  One of the first pieces of information I discovered was that our mascot is a dinosaur.  But, I hadn't realized that our school was located only a few blocks from Dinosaur Hill Park.  It was intriguing for me to learn that there was more than just an arbitrary decision for our mascot to be the Dinos.  Last Friday, I decided to hike to the summit of the hill and looked out at the beautiful landscape.  What a view!  I am forever grateful that we live in such a beautiful area.

PHE students perform Daughter of the Renaissance.
The last couple of weeks have been very busy for us at the school.  Picture day was last Tuesday, and on Thursday we hosted the SF Opera Guild.  They joined forces with our students to perform Daughter of the Renaissance.  It gave me great pleasure to watch the culmination of all the students' hard work.  I give a shout out of thanks to our music teacher, Ms. Blind, for all her hard work in organizing this event and rehearsing with the students.  It was evident that they put a lot of effort into their performance!  We also are gearing up to start our School Site Council (SSC) meetings.  Last week we accepted nominations for parents to join the council.  This week we will hold official elections with ballots going out to all families.  Thank you to those parents who have expressed interest in being a part of this important decision-making group!  Even if you are not a part of SSC, your voice is important to our school.  I have enjoyed many informal conversations with families before and after school.  If we cross paths while I'm walking in the halls, please don't hesitate to have a chat with me.  I have an open-door policy and encourage all parents to share their PHE experience with me!

We still have Make a Difference Day coming up on Saturday 9/24.  We are hoping for a good turnout of volunteers to help us beautify our school.  I want to send out a huge, "Thank you" to the PTA for organizing Make a Difference Day!  Joining their efforts is one of our teachers, Ms. Orihood.   She is leading our effort to create a Buddy Bench area.  Here are two videos that will be used to share this important concept with our students:

Upcoming Events:
  • Make a Difference Day - 9/24
  • APEX Fun Run - 10/14
  • Carnoween - 10/22


Comments

Popular Posts